Friday, July 19, 2013

Monsters are lurking about....

   My family has always been monster-happy. My brother and I enjoyed the last true "Monster Kid" period thanks to Pop's persistence in exposing us to the very films he so desperately wanted to see as a kid. 50's monster movies were a large part of my diet growing up, and reading material included stacks of old back-issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland. 8mm digests were included among the movies we watched, often projected against the wall of the living room. As I got older, I focused on girls more than monsters as my artistic subjects, and have since become a cartoonist specializing in cheesecake. My younger brother held to his dream of being a monster with more tenacity and this is the legacy of that....


   Pop and my brother, Kyle, makers of monsters.  First they built a costume of Marvel comics' Man-Thing....






   Then a "licker" from a Resident Evil video game. Not caring much for comics and video games myself, I was still impressed with the craftsmanship that went into creating these beasts. All that exposed muscle tissue was made from gluing on strings of yarn -one at a time!






   Then there was the big kid, Godzilla!










   And a few odds and ends since.... 









No comments:

Post a Comment