Friday, May 17, 2024

Re-design of Minnie Mouse

About a year ago, the first three Mickey Mouse cartoons entered public domain. For about a half a day there, palpable was a sense of excitement over the possibilities. Then we learned that while the cartoons had fallen into public domain, Disney somehow still had exclusive rights to the character designs and names. Thus, a wave of merchandise and media featuring the public domain Mickey Mouse and co, much anticipated as it was, fizzled out before it could even get up any speed. I'm not a huge Minnie Mouse fan, in terms of my own, cheesecake-centered body of work. Her close resemblance to Mickey and child-like proportions make it difficult for me to work with her as a pinup subject. Had the public domain status of her character taken hold, however, I admit I was curious to see what I could do with her. I tried my hand at a re-design, and you're actually seeing the end of the process here. My idea was to take the original version of the character and then to develop it from that base point, ignoring what Walt and company did with the design beyond that first appearance. So here's what developed. This is the Rock Baker version of Minnie Mouse. A version of the character I might've folded into Cartoon Cuties had she fully entered the public domain. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment